Saturday, August 04, 2007

Theologeeks

I'm not sure whether I came up with the term theologeeks, or my wife called me one first, but we're not the only ones to use the phrase, as I found out when I tried to register the domain theologeeks.com.

I'm using it for a group of people who will be meeting (at least) once a month to discuss the church and the Triune God. I did find that it shows up in only one place on Google, and that's at the dead site mentioned above. I wonder if they'd sell it?

There are actually lots of theologeeks out there, people who can't wait for the newest N.T. Wright book, or have a signed copy of Hauerwas and Willimon's Resident Aliens sitting prominently on their bookshelf.

The Ekklesia Project that I'm part of is full of theologeeks. Every year at the gathering, there are tables full of books from several publishers. I'd say it's one of everyone's top ten favorite things about the gathering.

The favorite thing, hands down, is conversation. Just sitting around between sessions, after worship, in the halls, in the dorms, on the way to the grocery store and talking about what we do at our churches, signs of the Kingdom, signs of the spirit is really why most of us come back each year; to see old friends and to make new ones.

So, the Jackson Theologeeks group is to build on that; to give those of us who spend a lot of time thinking about church more time to talk to one another. It's good church work. We shouldn't be left alone to our thoughts all the time, and most of us don't have anyone in our local congregation with whom we can discuss such things. We read and post things on the internet, but human contact is much more important. Let's try it and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Analyzing