Friday, August 10, 2007

Rev. Randy Cooper, episcopal candidate

I thought I might post about the role of Bishops, what needs to change, how the role seems to vary from conference to conference, and that sort of thing, but there's plenty of that out there, and I really just wanted to talk about one person anyway.

In June, at the Memphis Annual Conference gathering, Rev. Cooper, or "brother Randy" as he would probably prefer to be called,"was unanimously declared the delegation's episcopal candidate and was heartily and unanimously endorsed later by annual conference delegates." (That's from a Reporter summary of the conference which I'd link, but that's all it says about the nomination.)

Randy has been serving the Memphis Conference for about 25 years, and I'm no expert about his ministry, but he has not served a megachurch or even a large 500+ members congregation. He has committed to serving churches which are, at least in this area, normally given pastors who are right out of school or getting ready to retire.

No pastor can fill a pulpit without making someone upset, so I won't say everyone thinks he's great, but I have no doubt that everyone who has known him would agree that he takes both Word and Table very seriously.

I don't know if good pastors make good Bishops, but if they do, brother Randy will make an outstanding Bishop. His service to the body of Christ has been profound, and I hope God will continue to bless his ministry regardless of what particular path it may take.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Analyzing