Saturday, February 21, 2009

Random thoughts on Transfiguration

I've been looking at this text all week. I've read the other parts of the Lectionary. I've read the commentary on the Lectionary. All I have is an unformed ball of clay. Literally. I bought sculpey. Plain white sculpey. Of course Robby had to have his own pack too. I guess it's a start. It fits with transfiguration any way.

Of course, part of my mission tomorrow will include a sort of "here comes Lent" reminder. Very few people in the class (including me) were raised on the Lectionary/Liturgical year. I remember a youth group pastor talking about Lent and he brought a Roman Catholic friend with him like show and tell.

How inadequate Peter, James and John must have felt. John's gospel doesn't include the story. Maybe he didn't even feel he had the words for the event? It's no wonder they offered to build tents, tabernacles, monuments to Elijah, Moses and Jesus. It was Jesus' transfiguration, but the disciples were transformed too.

They were told to be silent, they were told John the Baptist was Elijah. They were told that Jesus would rise from the dead. They had more information than they could process and they still had to go on, go forward, move to the next moment. They couldn't stop and build monuments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Analyzing